Our favorite things about the holidays are the decorations and of course the food! Any excuse to bake cookies is a good one! With Halloween just around the corner, we thought it would be really fun to have Kolton and Piper assist us in baking some gluten-free sugar cookies and decorating them in the spirit of Halloween! You just never know how these projects will end up with two toddlers, but however it does, it is usually memorable and fun!
The gluten-free sugar cookie recipe is as follows:
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla flavoring
- 1 tsp almond flavoring
- 1 lb Gluten Free Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- In a stand mixer, beat butter with sugar together until fluffy. Beat in eggs and flavorings until fully incorporated.
- Weigh flour in a small bowl. Add in baking powder and salt and whisk everything to mix well. Slowly add the flour to the butter/egg mixture on low until fully incorporated. Remove and using a spatula, make sure the rough bits on the bottom are fully mixed into the dough. Scrape dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to bake (the dough is refrigerated overnight at minimum) preheat oven to 325 and line several baking sheets with parchment.
- Let the dough warm up slightly before rolling. Don’t let it warm too much or the dough will become too sticky to roll! It is best to roll directly on the parchment you will use for baking and cover with plastic wrap while rolling. Cut out shapes about an inch apart and remove excess dough. Re-roll scraps and continue the process.
- Bake about 10 minutes and rotate. Bake about 8-10 minutes more (depends on how this they were rolled) until cookies look slightly golden but not too brown. Cool on a each throughly before decorating.
We did most of the work before allowing them in the kitchen, but when the time came, they had a blast! Kolton loved helping mix the dough, and Piper had fun placing it on the cookie sheets.
Kolton was easily distracted when it came time to decorating, but Piper really enjoyed squirting icing and dropping sprinkles on her cookies!
Once the cookies were complete, they were very quickly devoured! Luckily we made plenty extra!
We are looking forward to our next baking project with these two!
Danielle & Alia
Thank you again for the lovely photos Jaime Hearts Photography