Piper loves to play with Play-Doh; squishing it in her hands, smashing colors together and adding glitter to make it sparkly. She absolutely loves everything about it. It is one of her favorite outside activities. Unfortunately, I have an allergy to gluten (wheat, the main ingredient in Play-Doh) and touching the store bought stuff for even a second makes my hands burn and rash up for days.. so I have to leave Play-Doh play time to my husband or the babysitter.
Feeling a little left out in all the fun they have together, I decided to do a little research and see if I could find gluten free play dough online. I found a few different websites that carry it but they were expensive. I didn’t feel like spending $20 on play dough that Piper would mix all the colors together and get dirty in a matter of minutes. I came across some recipes to make it myself and now I can finally enjoy squishing and molding gluten free play dough into shapes with her! Adding a couple drops of Citrus Bliss DoTERRA essential oil made the dough more appealing to play with giving it a nice scent, it smelled a bit too much like food without it. I’d rather Piper not have the urge to eat it even though the recipe is 100% edible, unless of course, you add glitter.
Want to make your own Gluten Free Play Dough? Piper and Kolton loved it! Here is the recipe:
1 Cup White Rice Flour, 1/2 Cup Cornstarch, 1/2 Cup Salt, 1 Tbsp Cream of Tartar, 1-1/2 tsp vegetable oil, 1 Cup Hot Water
Food Coloring, Essential Oil and Glitter are Optional
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a medium sauce pan.
- Add vegetable oil, then water, and continue to mix until thoroughly combined.
- Heat on the stove over low heat for about 3 minutes with a silicone spatula. (Do not cook for more then 5 minutes)
- When the dough starts to pull away from the sides easily, remove from pan and place on parchment paper or wax paper. Let it cool briefly, until it is cool enough to touch.
- Optional: With your thumb make a well in the dough. Place desired amount of food coloring in the well and knead until you reach your desired color.
- Optional: Add essential oil to make the dough smell nice. We used DoTERRA Citrus Bliss to this batch for energizing and refreshing properties.
It only took 20 minutes to make this gluten free play-doh including clean up. I’d say it is definitely worth it!
p.s. Our friends at DoTERRA are offering a Special PROMO to our readers until May 15th! Special PROMO Details: With the purchase of the Family Physician Kit ($150) The Family Physician Kit Includes 5 mL Essential Oils: Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, Melaleuca, Oregano, Frankincense, Deep Blue®, Breathe, DigestZen®, and On Guard to help families address a multitude of health issues.
You will get the following fun freebies! 1. Free diffuser 2. Essential Oils Usage Guide 3. Fractionated coconut oil (for diluting the oils) 4. Rollerball (to make your own blend)
*Must Purchase by May 15th*
Email Andrea at Akelly1009@gmail.com with any questions and to claim your freebies! Click HERE to purchase.