If you asked me a month ago I would have said I have one daughter who sleeps like a perfect angle and another who is in our bed e v e r y s i n g l e n i g h t… if you don’t already know I have a newly 2-year-old, Kenzie, and a 4.5-year-old, Piper; so can you guess which is which?
If you guessed Kenzie sleeps like an angle and Piper a nightmare, you were right… until now.
Things have very quickly changed. All of a sudden Kenzie, who turned two years old at the end of May has figured out how to climb out of her crib and the “magic of sleep” is a thing of the past. I now have 2 little love bugs who will not go to sleep for the life of me.
My first daughter never slept well, I blame myself for this one. I let her sleep in our bed from day one. I mean, she always started out in her bassinet right next to the bed but every night she’d end up between my husband and I because I was too tired to put her back after a night feeding. I also kept her in her bassinet until she was 8 months old… she was tiny and I couldn’t fathom putting her in her own room. At 2 she stopped napping because she’d be up until midnight if she did, and now she climbs in our bed in the middle of the night… every day!
So I’ve been putting together sleep tips for both littles and us adults that worked for us. Everyone’s different so you could definitely have different results but this is what I’ve found true for our family:
Sleep Tips For Babies:
- Put them back in the bassinet after night feedings and some cuddle time.
- Use a noise machine. Mine both like white noise even at 4.5 Piper still requests a noise machine.
- A magical nightlight. Well like I said every kid is different, Piper likes the door open and a nightlight on, Kenzie likes it pitch black with the door closed. This is the number one reason they can’t share a room.
- Swaddle swaddle swaddle!
- Use comfy cozy jammies like these ones from Baby Dee Dee. Baby Dee Dee has some of the cutest pj’s for your toddlers available in sizes 3-6 months all the way up to 2T. The leg zipper make night time diaper changes easy. At the end of this post there is a giveaway!
Sleep Tips For Toddlers:
- Pull out all the stops. We’ve tried a rainbow light, dream catcher, bribery, letting her stay up as long as she wants as long as she’s in bed looking at books…everything!
- Find them a lovie, let them pick it out, something to snuggle with that will help keep them company at night. Kenzie has her star blankie and gappy (what she calls her pacifier) and Piper sleeps with Pat and my childhood teddy bears.
- Stay a while. Laying on the floor next to the bed until they fall asleep is whats working the best for us right now with both girls. Its tiring but it works so can’t complain too much.
- We’re still looking for the perfect combination of tricks for both our girls! One night they work and the next they don’t…
Sleep Tips for Mama & Dada:
- Buy yourself a king size bed if you have the space. Kids may end up in there no matter how hard you try! We don’t have one…but it will definitely be our next big purchase!
- Invest in good pillows! Comfort is key for the hours you do get to sleep.
- Drink lots of wine so you can sleep through the kicks in your back all night long. haha just joking… kinda.
- Go to bed early if you can! Who knows how many times your little(s) will wake up or how early it will be when they are ready to go. In our house it ranges from 4:30am to 8:30am and there are always surprises!
Like I said, every kid is different but these are the things that have worked off and on for our family. If you have any magical sleep tips that I’m missing I’d absolutely love to hear them!
adorable photos of Kenzie & Shayne by Danielle Wahlstrom